Friday, August 18, 2017

Chapter 16: Court

Chapter 16
Court
I was allowed to speak at the sentencing hearing for the man who killed my wife, Naomi. Brunette Holly had coached me as to what to say, how to say it. I went over the accident, how it happened, and what it looked like in detail. I described my addiction to pain pills, the flashbacks, and my struggle. I talked about Trout, how he was just two years old and how confused he was. He called both the Hollys “mom,” he called everyone “mom.” I was raising him on my own, as all four of Trout's grandparents are dead, and I'm an only child. Suddenly, I just asked, “can I stop now?”

The judge said, “yes, and thank-you for speaking.” I thanked her and the court.

He was 52 and had no prior convictions, just out drunk on a New Year's Eve. The sentencing guidelines were four to 10 years in California state prison. He got six plus 10 years of probation. He cried like a baby when sentencing was handed down, much more of a show of emotion than when he heard my story.


The civil lawsuit wrapped up that week as well. We settled out of court for $1.7 million, $1 million of which was from his insurance agency, and the rest would come out of his assets, which included two businesses and a house. I let my lawyers take care of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asexual Holly/Sexual Holly by Elizabeth Elmenreich

Asexual Holly/Sexual Holly by Elizabeth Elmenreich